Privacy and Data Protection Policy
1. About us
We are SKIPTAX SAS Our registered office is 76 Rue de la Pompe, 75016 Paris, France. Our company number is 843174921.
This Privacy Notice (together with our Terms and Conditions) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
- always keep your information safe and private;
- never sell your information; and
- allow you to manage and review your marketing choices at
2. Why do I need to read this notice?
We will collect your personal information when you use:
- our website at www.skiptax.com;
- the Skiptax app; or
- any of the services you can get access to through the Skiptax app or website (our services).
Under data-protection law, we are what is known as the ‘data controller’ of your personal information.
Second, Skiptax acts as a “data processor”, service provider towards the local tax authorities (data controller). The personal data you provide to us via the App will be included in databases to which the local tax authorities will have access to facilitate and support the exercise of their public task and authority. These databases will be managed in accordance with the instruction we receive from the local tax authorities as data controller.
This policy contains important information
This document explains what information we collect, how we use it, and your rights if you want to change how we use your personal information.
If you have concerns about how we use your personal information, you can contact our data protection officer at email@example.com.
3. What information do we collect about you ?
We only collect the personal data you provide us with via the App. This includes:
- identification data: surname, ﬁrst name, e-mail address, phone number;
- account data: log-in and (encrypted) password
- logs relating to access and use of the app
- photo of the passport (including full name, birth date and birthplace, nationality, passport number, national ID number, country and date of issuance/expiry of the passport and other information mentioned on the passport)
- travel data: date and time of arrival and departure from EU;
- information on the purchased product: photo of the receipt, price, VAT, type of product, store of purchase, date of purchase and other information possibly included on the purchase voucher;
- electronic localisation data: location at the time of taking the photograph of the receipt in order to verify whether the user of the mobile application is physically in the store, location at the time of conﬁrmation of homecoming;
- IP-address and unique device identifier;
- financial specificities: bank account number, PayPal account information;
In order to have access to the location data and camera of your mobile device, a specific authorization is requested via pop-up screens. Without the provision of the personal data above, you cannot make use of the App. In addition to the above categories of personal data, we may process any other type of personal data you voluntarily provide to us, as well as the information we deduce or generate in this context.
5. How Do We Collect Information on Our Users?
There are two main methods we use:
- We collect information through your entry, connection, installation, access and/or use of the App. In other words, when you are using the App we are aware of it and may gather, collect and store the information relating to such usage. For example, when you are using the App we collect data produced by your device, such as your geo-location.
6. What do we use personal data for?
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Providing the service of filing a digital VAT refund request and receiving VAT refunds.
- Technical assistance and support.
- Support and facilitate the local tax authorities in exercising their public tasks.
- Maintain and improve Skiptax’s services, enhance and improve the User’s experience while using the App, learn about the preferences of Users and general trends on and uses of the App.
- Contact Users with updates, new features, or other news about the Skiptax app or similar services or products offered by us (including by way of newsletter).
- Send push notifications to the User’s device after the User has agreed to accept push notifications from us. Users can deactivate push notification by changing their settings within our App.
- Verify the User’s identity when he/she signs in to the App, as well as verifying User’s identity for the purpose of dealing with inappropriate interactions of User and/or fraudulent use of our App.
- Determine general geolocation information (i.e., country) from which the User’s computer is connected to the Internet in order for us to know the general location of our App’s Users as well as in order to safeguard our App.
- Take security, fraud prevention, and money laundering prevention measures.
- If you have consented thereto, send direct marketing messages to the Users relating to third party services or products, monitor the behaviour of User for advertising purposes, commercialise or sell personal data of the Users to / with potential business partners or third parties.
Your bank account details are only collected for the purpose of performing a refund payment. We process your personal data based on one of the following legitimate grounds:
- The processing is necessary to provide you with the services you request us to offer via the App;
- The processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Skiptax or by a third party, such as:
- The good execution and continuation of our activities and the broadening or improvement of our services;
- The information and communication towards our contractual relations of the products and services of Skiptax that we consider relevant taking into consideration of their previous purchases/sales or requests;
- The protection of our organization, our activities and our partners;
- The processing is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations;
- You have consented to the processing.
7. Whom do we share your personal data with?
Skiptax may engage sub-contractors (“data processors”) with respect to the processing of your personal data (e.g. cloud storage providers, IT service providers). Skiptax ensures to only engage sub-contractors providing suﬃcient guarantees towards the lawful processing and security of your personal data. As explained above, Skiptax shares your personal data with local tax authorities in order to enable them to review you digital VAT refund request and to facilitate and support the exercise of their public task and authority. Skiptax also shares your personal data with payment service providers in order to transfer an awarded refund in accordance with your instructions. Skiptax may share your Personal Data with any entities affiliated to Skiptax. We may also need to transfer your personal data to other recipients such as public authorities, enforcement authorities, public prosecutors and courts, our attorneys, advisors or other services providers, auditors or other third parties, if we estimate in good faith that such disclosure is reasonably necessary or useful (e.g. in order for us to comply with a legal obligation or procedure, in the context of a merger, acquisition or reorganization of our company or group, to broaden or improve our activities, to protect our rights and interests or the security and safety of our organization, our infrastructure, our activities, our clients, partners or the public, fully taking into account our obligations under the applicable personal data protection laws. In this respect, Skiptax will transfer your Personal Data across borders. For transfers outside of the European Economic Area, Skiptax will ensure an adequacy decision by the European Commission is in place for the recipient country or organisation, or that appropriate or suitable safeguards are in place, a copy of which can be obtained by contacting Skiptax at firstname.lastname@example.org .
9. Your rights with respect to your personal data
You have the right to request access to your personal data and to request information about the processing of your personal data. You have the right to have inaccurate personal data rectiﬁed and to request the deletion of your personal data. You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data or to have the processing restricted. You have the right to stop using the services of Skiptax at any time and ask for the termination of your account. Please note that as from the date of termination, you will no longer be able to access your account. You have the right to request a copy of the personal data you have provided us with, to receive this in a structured manner and to request us to transfer your personal data to another controller. You can exercise all rights as described above by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. Please attach a copy of your passport or other suitable form of identity proof to your request, enabling us to verify your identity in order to prevent unlawful access to your personal data. We will answer to your request in accordance with the legal conditions of these rights within a period of one month. If you are of the opinion that your privacy rights have not been respected, you can ﬁle also ﬁle a complaint with the competent supervisory authority of your choice. You can exercise all rights described above without any charge.
11. Deletion or Modification of Personal Information
If for any reason you wish to delete your Account, to update or modify your Personal Information included in your Account and/ or change your e-mail address please send us an e-mail with adequate detail of your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will make reasonable efforts to modify or delete any such Personal Information pursuant to any applicable privacy laws. Note that unless you instruct us otherwise we may retain and use your Personal Information after termination of your Account, for as long as reasonably required for the purposes of which such Personal Information was collected, including without limitation, for future analytics and analysis, in order to comply with our legal or business requirements or obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce our Terms and/or to enable the User to reinstate his/her Account, all as permitted under any applicable privacy laws. Aggregate and/or anonymous information derived from your Account and/or use of the App may remain on Skiptax’s servers indefinitely.
13. How do we safeguard data?
We take reasonable measures to maintain the security and integrity of our App and collected personal data and prevent unauthorized access to it or use thereof through generally accepted industry standard technologies and internal procedures. Your personal data is hosted on servers which provide advanced strict security standards (both physical and logical). Please note, however, that there are inherent risks in transmission of information over the Internet or other methods of electronic storage and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized access or use of your Personal data will never occur. SKIPTAX SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS, HACKING, OR OTHER SECURITY INTRUSIONS OR
The “Skiptax” brand and associated logos are the exclusive intellectual property of Skiptax and are not to be reproduced, used or represented in any form or format or by any medium whatsoever, without the express authorization of Skiptax.
All graphics, photos, animations, videos and texts contained on the Skiptax website and more generally the items created to enable or facilitate browsing on the Skiptax website – architecture, design, code pages, CSS pages, and other items – are the exclusive intellectual property of Skiptax and are not to be reproduced, used or represented in any form or format or by any medium whatsoever, without the express authorization of Skiptax.
Users specifically undertake not to modify, copy, reproduce, download, circulate, transmit, commercially exploit and/or distribute by any means whatsoever any Skiptax services, Skiptax webpages, or computing codes for items composing the Skiptax services and the Skiptax website.
- COOKIES AND UNIQUE USER
A “cookie” is a text file that logs information on a web user’s browsing behavior. It is controlled by the browser.
For web users, using cookies is the best way to personalise their browsing experience. They allow visitors to avoid being shown repeated advertising messages and questions, and also to save time on websites where login details are required.
For Skiptax, using cookies ensures that the solution can function correctly and guarantees that the tests carried out are reliable by recognising a visitor as unique each time they visit (remembers that it is the same visitor without actually knowing who it is). In particular, the cookies log which version of the test the visitor is using, with the sole purpose of being able to direct them back to the same version during future visits in order not to cause behavioural differences and consequently lead to misleading results. Under no circumstances do these cookies store any information that identifies visitors.
All the results obtained are compiled and remain fully anonymous. The results focus on browsing and behaviour: number of visitors, visits, pages views and other information required to measure the performance of each webpage version during a test. They are used to improve the ergonomics and content of the sites visited.
The Skiptax solution uses “first party” cookies, i.e. they are set by the URL of the website using the Skiptax service.